The breathtaking beauty of Court Colman Manor can now be enjoyed by anyone who cares to visit the hotel. For most of its history, which goes back to Tudor times, this elegant country mansion has been the home for a succession of people who have guarded their privacy well.
During the Civil War, Court Colman passed to John Watkins as recognition of his attachment to the parliamentary cause. He moved to Brecon and then signed the house over to his young brother. Another owner was Hopkin Rees who became Sheriff of Glamorgan but the house passed again through several hands before it was bought by the Llewellyn family of Margam (1837). William Llewellyn qualified as a doctor and became a ship’s surgeon. He was a great friend of Collingwood now famed in history as the friend of Lord Nelson. William Llewellyn was invalided out of the navy and brought Court Colman in 1837.
There was some delay before Llewellyn could take over the house but in 1840 he died, never having lived there. His son William who was 20 years old took up residence a year later. In 1844 he married a Miss Knight of Tythegston whose family still live in the Hall at Tythegston. William became High Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1854 following in the footsteps of a previous owner of Court Colman House – Hopkin Rees. His son R W Llewellyn then succeeded his father and in 1906 – 1907 extensive alterations and improvements were carried out.
The Last Wing and Conservatory had been stables. The roof was raised and windows added to the second floor and wings were added either side of the house to give it the balanced look it has today.
The old entrance was removed and can now be seen at the back of the lily pond nestling under the lysteria used as a potting conservatory.
An old sundial can be seen above the porch and the first inscription reading 1766, H Rees Esq. and Mr Llewellyn added the date of restoration 1906. His son Lieutenant (later Colonel) W H Llewellyn succeeded him and lived in the mansion until he retired. The house was bought by a retired Headmaster of a Preparatory School in Bridgend but Mr G Morgan let the house become dilapidated and the days of a stately home were numbered.
In 1981 Court Colman Manor was turned into a Hotel and is now a thriving business and the lights twinkle again from every room in the house.